Thursday, November 30, 2006

52  Iced Coffee, Part Two


La Rev, you loved coffee, didn’t you?  Ah, Rev, I remember how you made us designate each Monday the coffee mug we’d use for the rest of the week.  You would pick one out.  You had first pick.  I was fine with that; even curious to see which one you’d take first each week. Then I’d pick one.

I remember one Wednesday afternoon, actually a day when the words were flowing to me like a river of sumptuous chocolate I could shape any way I wanted.  I heard you filling a mug with a handful of cubes from the freezer.  I came into the kitchen to find you drinking iced coffee from a mug different than the one you’d picked that Monday.

“What are you doing?”  I said.  “That’s not your mug this week.”

“Iced coffee’s different,” you said.

At the time I was a little confused.  But you know, I’m sitting here drinking some iced coffee, thinking about you, wondering where the hell you are, and it strikes me that you’re right.  Iced coffee is different, different indeed.




Next: Reverie


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?